ok, so I have got quite a few shots of my test model at each step, but with the amount of models I have to get painted in a short time I don’t have a huge amount of shots of the first few stages of the actual painting, but I can describe the paints/method I used.
So I started by assembling a single chaos space marine, didn’t bother cleaning him up, or even what he is armed with, he is just being used as a crash test dummy anyways 🙂
Just a heads up, this test model is painted dog ugly, really quick, hoping to get the airbrush going on the real models in the same night, in the end I wasn’t happy with the colors I had, so that didn’t happen anyways 😦
I started with the paints that I had, later realised I needed more paints as I wasn’t getting the look I wanted. But here is the first layer of macragge blue
I follow that up with a layer of Alaitoc Blue
I thought I would try something different and give it a purple tinge to it, so my first shade I used was Druchi Violet (when you see what I ended up with you can tell I didn’t like it)
I then did a highlight of Hoeth Blue
Then gave it a hit with Guilliman Blue
Wanted to see how this would look with the other colors so added in Balthazar Gold as a test gold to just check how the blues looked with it
And then basically through on some Yriel Yellow in some rough spots to see how that would brighten up the model.
And the plan is for Green lenses, so I through on a moot green as a bit of a look.
In the end, as it said at the start of this post I wasn’t keen on the color scheme. So I went looking for other Thousand Son armies to see what they used, and what I liked. Didn’t find one army that was the look I was after, but found a few that I could pinch some ideas from. So I ended up with something completely different from above after a chat with 3 of my mates from Melbourne (Adam, Caine and Leigh).
So primed all the models.
Got the spray both and airbrushes all ready to rumble.
Here is a look at the army at the end of the night, lets call that “Stage 1” of painting.
So the Scarab Occult Termis went with a Khorne Red base (I know blasphemy right), followed by Blood Red at a 45* Angle from above (pretty sure this is an old color which has been replaced by Evil Sunz Scarlet). I then continues to do 4 more layers each reducing the angle or picking specific points on the model I wanted to highlight, the next 4 layers were Blood Red again but adding in increasing amounts of Fire Dragon Bright (an orange). Normally with my highlights I add white scar, however with red that can often make it look pink instead of a brighter red.
The rest of the army are having the blue look, but I have gone with a much brighter feel than the traditional dark blue thousand sons models you see in a lot of the GW publications. I haven’t washed them back yet, this will be done tonight, however I am concerned about losing some of this brightness, so I am going to do another test model with these colors to make sure I like it. I may end up doing a simple highlight of white scar white at the end, but we shall see 🙂
So I started off with the first layer of Kantor Blue (quite dark). Then I did a layer of Caledor Sky almost covering the model again, but trying to not go to heavy on some of the recess areas to represent shadows. I then followed that up with a layer of Sotek Green (don’t be fooled, it is more of a blue/turquoise color). I then did 4 more layers of Sotek Green each time adding in White Scar to brighten it up.
I used this same technique on my Rhino as well, however on tanks it can sometimes be a lot more obvious the gradients due to the size of the model and room to blend.
I am really unsure of what I will bring it all back with, I am going to test using either drakenhof nightshade and/or gullimen blue glaze. Both seem to be quite a dark shade/glaze, so I may end up using one and then doing another couple of layers of the Sotek Green with White Scar. But we will see how it comes out.